PORTFOLIO REVIEWS WITH A GUEST EDITIOR
We have the pleasure of welcoming a guest editor at Heroes Dutch Comic Con. This is a very exclusive opportunity for upcoming Comic Artists. They will get a chance to present their portfolio.
Meet Andrea Shea (DC Comics) & Sarah Brunstad (Marvel Comics) this edition!
Portfolio drop-off: 10.00 – 14.00 | Hal 9 | Comics Area
Showing your portfolio to this renowned editor is a chance of a lifetime. The editor is the one who can give you valuable professional feedback on your work. He will be present at Heroes Dutch Comic Con to review all portfolios throughout the day. Use his experience to your advantage to grow even more!
- We´ll leave a box / bucket in the editor’s table for people to leave their portfolios. Those portfolios HAVE TO BE only COPIES, NEVER originals, always in A4 size, with a curriculum vitae included after the cover, as page 1.
- Each portfolio needs to be a minimum of six pages, and a maximum of 15. It can be pencillers, inkers (if it’s an inker he/she should also show the pencils he’s inked) colorists (if it’s a colorist he or she should also include the black and white pages he/she has colored). Each portfolio must also have a cover with an illustration, the artist’s full name or “nom the plume” and contact information. Also, every interior page needs to have written the full name and contact info (phone number and email) of the creator at the top of EACH page. We can’t guarantee the portfolios will be returned. It can’t be lost, or an editor could decide to take it back home, so the artist must accept in advance it won’t be returned, and we should specify that in the rules. “If you leave in the box, it’s quite possible you won’t get it back, so please don’t include any original art in the portfolio”).
- This is free access. ANYBODY can leave their portfolio. But NOT EVERYBODY will get a private meeting, only those the editor decide are ready or have the potential to become a professional artist. We’ll ask the selected artists to show an ID to access the meeting, because only the ones selected can access those.
- Every day of the show the artists will be able to leave their portfolios at the editors’ table until 2:00 pm; at that time the editors will pick and review the portfolios from each bucket and pick who they will be meeting with. We’ll write the names of the people each will meet in two whiteboards (or similar) around 3:00 pm and meetings will start at 3:30 pm, for two hours, until 5:30 pm (each meeting lasting 15 minutes, approx.). If you’re not on the list, feel free to ask for your portfolio, and when at all possible, we’ll return it to you.
- Aside of this, and as previously announced, our guest editor will have one panel about “how to get to work for DC Comics” (Marie) that will also be a magnificent orientation for aspiring artists.
To demonstrate your full range of qualities, we recommend that you to create a 12 page portfolio, shaped in the following way:
- Three action pages starring Valiant Comics characters.
- Three action pages starring Marvel or DC Comics characters.
- Three pages based on people talking, people standing, things of regular life.
- Three pages with pin-ups, covers, illustrations.
Comic artists can present their portfolio during the weekend of Heroes Dutch Comic Con. Only portfolios created according to these rules will be accepted for review. Editor David Menchel will select who he wants to meet privately, so not everyone who presents their portfolio will get a private meeting with David Menchel. Please know that he is not looking for personal projects.
- Please deposit your portfolio at the Comics Area.
- Your portfolio should only carry copies, never originals and should be in A4 format.
- After the cover page, you must add a resume with your work to this date.
- Your portfolio must have a minimum of six and a maximum of twelve pages (in black and white or in color).
- The portfolio must contain on top the full name, email address and telephone number of the author.
- The selection will be based on the quality and readiness to be published or close to it.
- If editor David Menchel decides not to keep it, it will be returned to you at the same place. If you are not selected, please do not try again with the same portfolio on another day of the event. This is not allowed.
- If you are selected, you will be requested to present your ID at the meeting.
- If you don’t speak English we recommend that you bring a translator with you to this professional meeting.